Monday, January 27, 2014
Doesn't this just look like a picture of summer in the middle of winter?! My mom had been raving about Pioneer Woman's Summer Stir Fry recipe which was a different take on a stir fry... I mean how many do you know that include tomatoes.. yum! I don't normally cook a lot of Pioneer Woman recipes because they aren't usually healthy but this one was on the healthy side and I also tweaked it a bit (partially for health and partially for no access to fresh corn) and it was a great one pot meal.
Shrimp Tomato Zucchini Corn Stir Fry
adapted from Pioneer Woman, serves 4
- 1 12oz bag of raw shrimp, we used the peeled de-veined tails off but PW uses tails on
- 2 large zucchini, cut into slices
- 1 1/2-2 cups frozen corn, thawed and dried or 2 ears fresh corn if in season
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (PW uses butter and olive oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
Start by prepping all your ingredients since everything cooks pretty quickly. Make sure the corn is definitely dry so it doesn't water anything down.
Heat 1 1/2 olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic. When hot, add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and place on a plate. Do not clean skillet.
Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add zucchini in single layer if possible and cook one minute. Move to the edges of the pan and add corn to the middle of the pan and cook one minute. Add tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper and toss. Add back shrimp and cook additional 30 seconds. Let cool and serve.
I am really drawn to colorful meals with lots of veggies and this definitely fulfilled that. I can imagine it is better with fresh corn so I cannot wait to try it again this summer.