I did some work over the next couple months cleaning it out and wiping it down. Taking off the hardware and sanding it. Then I primed it and it sat a very long time in the garage until this past fall when I decided to finally getter done. It's about time, right?
I wasn't totally thrilled with the first sanding job I had done on the top with an old sander and we had since purchased a new sander. I re-sanded the top (the rest was fine) and primed again with Kilz.
Then I painted 2 coats all over of SW Alabaster - a white creamy color. I ended up doing a third coat of paint just on the top. A big thanks to Cassie at Primitive and Proper (now I can finally link up at her furniture party!) for suggesting this color to me and letting me know that having brush strokes on the top is normal and adds to the character of the piece. The only way to get it perfectly smooth is with a sprayer and with this being a hobby I just can't justify buying that.
I got Eric and my dad around Christmas time to fix a couple of the drawer hinges. One of them is still not that great, but that's okay by me for such a cheap dresser.
I spray painted the hardware with an oil rubbed bronze and reattached them to the drawers. I let it sit about a week before moving it upstairs to the loft. Then I did 2 coats of polycrylic on the top since that is where I wanted to put lamps and such. I could have done it all over but I didn't think it was really necessary since I will use this for storage and not be opening the drawers on a daily basis.
Then I waited a week before placing anything on top. I added 2 teal lamps that I purchased from HomeGoods shortly after getting the dresser. They are the main inspiration for the color scheme that will be in this room.
I am happy to say I finished this up before the new year so at least it was only a year-ish since I bought it before completing it :) It also taken me awhile to get around to taking pictures of it and writing a post about it...
I think it is worth it to get something when you see it, even if you plan on waiting awhile to work on it because who knows when land a great find again. Case in point, I have a buffet type piece (cabinets on the bottom with shelves above) in the garage now that I bought a year ago waiting to be redone. Maybe since the dresser is all done, I will be motivated to start on that.
It's hard to believe what a $25 dresser, a can of paint, and a can of spray paint can become!
I am totally in love with my redo dresser and I hope you like it too! I need advice of what else should go on top of the dresser or should be hung above it so leave your thoughts here!
Linking up at these fun parties
(M) Motivate Me Monday, Making the World Cuter Mondays, Making Monday Marvelous, Just Something I Whipped Up, The DIY Showoff, Mad Skills, Before and After (T) Power of Paint, Today's Creative Blog, All Thingz Related, Tip Me Tuesday, Ladybug Blessings, Try it Tuesday, A Little Birdie Told Me (W) POWW, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Blue Cricket Design, We Did It Wednesday, Wassup Wednesday (Th) Hooking up w/HoH, Somewhat Simple (F) Remodelaholics Anonymous, Frugalicious Friday, FrouFrouDecor, Fingerprints on the Fridge, FFA Friday, Weekend Wander, (S) Weekend Wrap Up Party, Lamb Around (Su) Sunday Showcase Party, Sundae Scoop, It's So Very Cheri